Monday, May 11, 2009

Mozambique preparations

It's sad that most of the big decisions in life aren't clear-cut. Clearly, Bridget Jones had to choose Mark Darcy, because Hugh Grant was sort of a nympho-jerk. But when I was trying to figure out which malaria medication to take today, I totally couldn't decide which one was Mr. Darcy and which one was Hugh Grant.

Yes, malaria is kind of a problem in the Eastern Cape, and up through Mozambique, which is where I'm going after I finish writing 13,000-or-so combined words for my history, English and film classes. And provided I finish my Afrikaans presentation on Oprah. So there are mainly three options to impede (and hopefully, well, stop) the spread of malaria:

1) Mefliam -- take 1 tablet/week from 1 week pre-departure to 4 weeks afterward.
PROS: Really cheap (R130)
CONS: Side effects include hallucinations, confusion, psychological trauma, nightmares.

2) Doxycycline -- take 1 tablet/day, from 2 days pre-departure to 4 weeks afterward.
PROS: Also cheap (~R150)
CONS: Sun sensitivity (if used too often, by people in malaria-prone areas, can lead to super-sensitive, thick skin. Yum), stomachaches, nausea.

3) Malanil -- 1 tablet/day, from 1 day before to 7 days after.
PROS: NO SIDE EFFECTS!
CONS: COSTS R800 (almost $100).

So, do I want to lead a trippy existence the duration of my trip and possibly be too confused to know what's going on, or do I just want to have constant nausea and sunburns, for a low monetary cost? OR do I want to shell out an inordinate sum of money (about one-fifth of the cost of the entire trip) for just this medication? It's a toughie.

1 comment:

me, evan said...

Can't you just have gin and tonic with extra quinine?