Friday, February 6, 2009

Wake 'n bake


The fire started in the mountains, just behind the gym. Okay, so I was a little sensationalistic in the last post because I actually went out later that night (they'd put out most of the flames by then). Last night you could still see flames on the mountains from logs burning, but at least the air doesn't smell like smoke anymore.

Sometimes I forget where I am. Not like I suddenly think I'm in Texas, but I forget that, oh yeah, I'm in Africa. But then something jarring happens, like I walk down the street and there's someone who's not wearing pants (in all fairness, this could also happen at any Metro station in Houston) or I open up the Penny Saver and they're advertising two pineapples for R10 (about $1). And that's when it hits me. Because for the scenery and architecture here (discounting the scorching heat), it could be a little European village.

They also advertise heavily for "burglar bars" -- windows that look cute and wooden but are actually made of titanium and adamantium (Wolverine!), to ensure your valuables remain in their rightful place. While I'm sure the advertising agency had a blast coming up with this one, it's kind of terrible. [Insert brand name here] Electric Fences: Guaranteed to give burglars a truly shocking experience!

Today is incredibly hot. It feels like Texas in June or July. I went outside and nearly melted so I'm inside for awhile. It's really crippling, this African sun.

P.S. The picture is from Dyer Island, home to 60,000+ seals. They sound like sheep and are really noisy and smelly, but it was pretty cute.

No comments: